National Chin-Yi University of Technology (NCUT) set up the Department of Industrial Electronic Engineering in 1971. In 1975, the department was renamed to Department of Electronic Engineering. In 1980, the department was divided into Section of Computer Engineering and Section of Applied Electronics. In 1999, NCUT was restructured to become an institute of technology and allowed to confer a bachelor’s degree on the students who have completed all courses of study in the Department of Electronic Engineering. In the 2003 academic year, the Institute of Information and Electrical Energy (co-organized by the Department of Electrical Engineering) was permitted to recruit students. In the 2007 academic year, the Institute of Information and Electrical Energy was incorporated into the Department of Electronic Engineering to provide with the master’s program in electronic engineering at the Department. The in-service master’s program was provided from the 2011 academic year.
The programs of the Department are divided into the following three main professional programs based on the specialties and research interests of teachers: (1) Integrated Circuit and System Application, (2) Network Multimedia and Game Console, and (3) Intelligent Robot. With the characteristics of these programs, the educational goals of the Department are identified as follows：
(1) To have students develop humanistic quality and social concern.
(2) To have students be familiar with the theories and technologies relevant to the electronic industry.
(3) To cultivate students and make them become industrial talents who will take their jobs seriously and think creatively and from an international perspective.
The programs of the Department are divided into the following three main professional programs based on the specialties and research interests of teachers: (1) Integrated Circuit and System Application, (2) Network Multimedia and Game Console, and (3) Intelligent Robot. The characteristics of each program are described as follows：
(1) Integrated Circuit and System Application： With the courses focusing on integrated circuit technology as core courses, the program is designed to help students develop necessary abilities for chip design, IC layout, IC process, electrical energy processing, and circuit application and integration. Teaching resources include support from National Chip Implementation Center (CIC) and National Nano Device Laboratories (NDL). This program, which intends to enhance students’ ability in microelectronics and cross-disciplinary integration, is one of the key programs supported by the government’s science and technology policy.
(2) Network Multimedia and Game Console：This program aims to cultivate students and have them become the talents good at wired and wireless network application, engineering optics application, multimedia design, game software and video game console. Students are expected to develop their abilities in multimedia design, game software and video game console, wireless internet application and engineering optics application based on programming design, multimedia, network, and engineering optics.
(3) Intelligent Robot：With mechatronics as fundamental technology, this program combines “Artificial Intelligence” with “Robot Control” in a cross-disciplinary way and uses “Intelligent Robot” as the development core to cover the development and design of mechatronic products and intelligent robots. Teaching resources include Navigation & Control of the Intelligent Robot Lab, Smart Sensor & Supervisory Control Lab, and Embedded Processor & SOPC. In addition, the Department also continuously seeks for the internship and industry-academy cooperation opportunities provided by Central Taiwan Science Park and entities in the industrial areas nearby, in order for students to enhance their ability in cross-disciplinary integration by learning from work and to achieve the objective of graduation guaranteeing employment.
The Department’s current school system is as follows：
(1) Day Division: (a) Master’s program, (b) Four-year technical program, and (c) Two-year technical program.
(2) Division of Continuing and Extension Education: (a) In-service master’s program, (b) Four-year technical program (including industry-academy program)
(3) School of Continuing Education (Courses taken on Saturdays and Sundays) ：(a) Two-year technical program, (b)Two-year junior college program.
(1) Integrated Circuit and System Application：
(a)Semiconductor facilities：Chip probe station, BGA repair platform, wire bonding machine, semiconductor process simulation software, semiconductor electro-parameter simulation software, and Altera FPGA development platform, etc.
(b)Facilities for circuit application：Solar teaching platform, electronic loading meter, electrical power analyzer, digital power analyzer, embedding system, 3D printer, thermo-imager, illuminometer, Gauss meter, and platform for self-driving car module development, etc.
(2) Network Multimedia and Game Console：Design system for OSLO optical system, optic measurement system, sensing system for communication components, wireless broadband communication network test system, Cisco CCNA network training system, satellite receiving system, cable TV termination system, 3D MAX modeling and animation development system, Unity game development system, Quest 3D game development system, microcomputer simulator, game console development system, embedded development system, interactive platform of virtual reality bicycle, 3D gloves, 3D tracker, head-mounted display, video virtual reality development platform, XNA game development system, Game Studio game development system, mobile communication game platform.
(3) Intelligent Robot： Intelligent robot, robot for taking orders, robot as a smart tourist guide, industrial robot, robot for disaster relief and search, mobile robot, powered lower-limb exoskeleton, Staubli six-axis articulated robotic arm, SCARA automatic production line system with four-axis robotic arms, parallel mechanical gripper module, laser scanner, laser guided positioning system, dual-band global satellite positioner, GPS receiver, loading mechanism, image vision system, DSP voice development system, embedded system, driver and servomotor, device for virtual metering and sensing experiment, data capture system, human machine interface software, MatLab software, LabVIEW software, Solidworks software, SOPC development equipment, ARM 9 CPU development board, ARM CORTEX-M3 CPU learning board, FPGA design-related software, engraving machine and personal computer, oscilloscope, power supply, signal generator, and other basic equipment
(1) Integrated Circuit and System Application：
(a)E525 IC Lab, (b)E544 Green Energy Technology & Chip System Lab, (c)E623 RF System & Chip Design Lab,and (d)E710 Embedded Processor and SOPC Lab.
(2) Network Multimedia and Game Console：
(a)E431 Computer Graphics & Game Lab, (b)E613 Network and Multimedia Lab, (c)E626 Optic Measurement and Micro Computer Lab, and (d)E715 Electronics Training & Television Lab.
(3) Intelligent Robot：
(a)E614 Navigation & Control of the Intelligent Robot Lab, (b)E617 Smart Sensor and Supervisory Control Lab, and (c)E017 Academic / Industry Collaboration Lab.
In the future, the Department will further (1) intensify training project courses, choose the topic of a project that may combine and reflect an industrial R&D topic, and encourage students to participate in relevant project competitions held domestically and overseas; (2) implement the “off-campus internship” program to enrich practical training and have each student be able to gain workplace experience before graduation; (3) provide tutoring classes to help students acquire applicable certificates and licenses before graduation and enhance their practical ability and professional competitiveness; (4) review and improve courses continuously, in hopes that students are able to make their career plans based on their interests and put what have been learned into practice; and (5) enhance its teacher structure to create a perfect teaching and research environment and become one of the world’s top universities.